Monday 15 February 2010

Seniors This Weekend - Review

This weekend's competitions (WOGA Classic and AOGC Elite Qualifier) were really disappointing to me, I know it is early in the season and new skills and routines are being tested but to me this should be no reason to have bad technique or lack of split in leaps. I expected falls but I also expected better from the National team girls and the new WOGA routines/choreography.
SENIORS
Rebecca Bross - I used to really like this girl and was sad when she didn't win worlds last year but I have actually changed my mind now and I'm glad Bridget won even though I'm not a fan of hers at least she makes an effort to have good form. I don't think it would have been good for the sport if Bross had won worlds with her form and choreography. I had actually hoped that part of her lack of form was due to injuries and had also hoped over the winter they had worked on her presentation but going from her beam routine this weekend I'm guessing they didnt! I thought her arabian was good but the dismount not at all and her split change and split jump weren't split and her back leg was knowhere near straight! You can watch it here if you want to! (I'm also looking forward to the American Cup even less now!)

Ivana Hong - Another gymnast I used to love especially in her younger years and I still do like her presentation but to me she seems to have lost some of her personality and charm when she performs. My thoughts on her beam routine this weekend: not really that bad ignoring the fall, I still don't like the mount and think she should bring back the McCool mount, her connections and leaps were good (apart from the ring) and I really liked dismount. But 14.250 wih a fall? Not sure how they got that! Watch it here.

Mattie Larson - She was one of the only Senior gymnasts I was impressed with this weekend I know how hard it can be to come back from a long injury break and I hope she gets picked to be the other US gymnast at the American Cup (not sure how likely that is). Her bars was nice with reasonable form, nice pirouettes and transition moves and a new doubvle layout dismount. I liked watching her beam routine she probably still needs a few more competitions before its really good, there are a few leaps that need work but I did see some sort of 180 degree split! Watch beam here. Good Luck Mattie I wish you an injury free successful season.

Sami Shapiro - This girl I have always loved because of her beautiful form and toes! But I'm not sure she has come back from injury as well as Mattie has. She obviously isn't ready for seriuos competition yet. Her Bars was just ok, a few short handstands and a fall on the dismount but I don't think she has reached her full potential on this piece yet, I just hope her body will let her. Beam was better with beautiful form, just a bit shaky on the connections and no dismount. I just hope they don't rush her back the Olympics are still over 2 years away and I want to see her there.

Kayla Williams - I wasn't impressed with her at all, her vaults were average at best, bars reminded me of a level 10 routine and I've never been a fan of her floor she has great tumbling but to me floor is more than that its about dance, leaps and performance and she has none of that. She also fell on her triple full this weekend, but I am expecting her to be much better later in the season you can tell she isn't back in seriuos training yet. Some of her routines can be seen here
Sophia Lee - She won the WOGA Classic with 55.00, her highest score was on bars (14.350) and I thought she looked much better than the past few elite qualifiers this year.

Mackenzie Caquatto - She won the Chicago Style Meet this weekend and in an interview on gymnastike she said she hoped to compete at the American Cup. She looked in pretty good shape, debuting a new piked Hindorff on bars (which was impressive) and side somi on beam. Her floor I think is more of a College routine which is fine but I don't like it as an elite routine (had an excellent double pike though). Overall all her routines seem almost ready to go so she must have a reasonable chance on competing at the American Cup, but I would prefer Mattie or a Junior I guess it depends what Marta wants. All her routines can be seen here at Gymnastike.

Gymnastics Videos on Gymnastike

My next post will be opinions and review of the Juniors this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment